Autism Spectrum Disorder Networking Group
Making Connections is a parent-led networking group for families and professionals in Madison County, Alabama, and the surrounding region. We strive to improve the lives of individuals affected by Autism Spectrum Disorders.
We provide many opportunities for parents and professionals to meet, share, and connect with others facing some of the same struggles. We host educational meetings that are led by professional speakers on various topics related to Autism. All of our meetings are Free and Open to the public, and during our meetings we offer free childcare- to provide an opportunity for both parents to attend. We are knowledge-driven, and we focus on providing information and assistance to our members in a positive atmosphere!
We help provide general information related to autism along with listings of local resources and professional services encompassing everything from ABA Therapists to Recreational Activities offered for individuals affected by Autism. We also attend many Resource Fairs and other local community events to provide information, presentations and to raise awareness within the community.
Additional services that we provide:
- Family Outings, Holiday Parties and “Lego Friends” events and we have also begun to incorporate even more outings for our families to gather, relax, meet new friends, share ideas and happenings, and strengthen your knowledge and spirits!
- Collaborate with other local organizations/businesses to provide different programs within the community.
- Lending Library – in partnership with Huntsville Public Library
- E- Newsletters – which includes upcoming events for multiple organizations, information on conferences and much, much more!
- Social Networking on Facebook
- Website with general information on Autism; Events, Educational Tools; Programs; Resources; & Ways you can Help
- Awareness Events – such as Autism Awareness Scarecrow at Huntsville Botanical Gardens, Autism Awareness Trees at Huntsville Public Library, etc.
- Fundraising Events – fundraising not only helps fund all of these different activities/events but it also helps raise even more awareness!
Norma Pedersen currently serves as ASA Network Leader for Making Connection ASD Networking Group in Madison County. Norma lives in Owens Cross Roads, Al. with her husband of 28 years, William and her 15-year old son Zachary who is on the Autism Spectrum. Norma is a former board member of the Autism Resource Foundation and Norma has also served on the planning committee for the Autism Society of Alabama’s Annual Walk in Huntsville since 2011.